Saturday, October 4, 2008

Bravery

I realize I have never been a very brave or adventurous person. I don't like feeling out of control. Fear of being out of control, and perhaps severely injuring myself, has prevented me from doing a lot of things. Today I stood at the top of several little hills covered in rocks, sand, and loose gravel and tried to conquer some of those fears. The fear won. That's right, I'm a scaredy!

Jacob and I went for a little bike ride this morning. I am really comfortable with riding on the road or the sidewalk but I've always wanted to try a little bit of actual trail riding. So we headed up to a local state park that has several single track trails of varying difficulty and I gave it my best effort. Turns out my best effort isn't that great. This was only my second time off-roading and this was more scary than the first time for sure. I think I psyched myself out thinking about all the potential crashes, analyzing every little bump or rock in the trail, and studying just how skinny the trail is which leaves very little room for error. I psyched myself out so badly I pretty well walked down most of the steeper hills. And I was on "easy"trails the whole ride. Seriously, I am a little bit ashamed of myself.

On the other hand, it was a beautiful morning with the leaves beginning to change and it was good to get out and do something active. I really did have an enjoyable time despite my inability to conquer the fear. But now it's become a little bit more of a challenge for me because I don't appreciate the extent of the fear and it's debilitating affects. I want to be able to ride the easy courses without batting an eye. So...something to work on I guess.

Speaking of things to work on...
I was also able to watch the afternoon session of conference today. I love general conference! I appreciated Elder Holland's talk on angels and I want to do better at being a little more compassionate and loving so I can be more in tune with opportunities to help others around me. I continue to become increasingly aware of how selfish I am. I want to do better at that. I also really enjoyed Elder Bednar's remarks on making prayer more meaningful. Again, this is certainly an area I can improve in. I was discussing this talk with a friend of mine and we were both remarking how strange it is that we had not been more aware of the connection between morning and evening prayers. It amazes me how simple things like that can hit me like a ton of bricks and I think to myself "Obviously! That makes so much sense."

I also spent this evening learning how to make some excellent egg rolls and cashew chicken while spending time with some fantastic ladies from my ward. I do enjoy a good girls night out! I enjoy them even more when good food is involved. I enjoy most activities more when food is involved...

All in all, it's been a good day and I'm looking forward to more goodness tomorrow.

8 comments:

Amanda, Curtis, Ellis, Hugh, Rhys, Graham, Sylvia said...

Thanks for sharing about facing your fears. Facing them, no matter how inadequately, is a big step. There are so many things I hold back on and don't do and I lose out on opportunities. When I finally do try them, I make progress, be it ever so humble, and I think, "I should have faced this earlier." Maybe it's the same with being angels to those around us,eh. Looking forward to conference. We'll watch in next week as a branch here in Beijing. But luckily we can get it online already.

Love you, Sand. Send recipes of all the good food you talk about if you get a chance.

Lynda/Mom said...

I commend you for trying the bike trails. Conference was good yesterday--thanks for sharing your insights.

MaryAnn said...

I have the same fear and I also never could mountain bike. Cristy and Carla tried to take me - but it was never my thing. I'd rather hike.

Laura Stringham said...

Brent loves mt. biking and I'm terrified of it for your same reasons. I SO get you Sandy, I feel very close to you right now :)

Christy said...

Sandy, Sandy! I miss you so much!I have really enjoyed reading your blog lately. My blog is www.darrellkarrenfamily.blogspot.com. You should see my handsome boys! They are getting so big! We definitely need to find some time to get together. Keep in touch!

Shae, Jay, and chillin' said...

I like Bednar's talk...taking his advice at sometimes just giving a prayer of thanksgiving...that is hard to do. I always give thanks, but I always ask at least for one thing. Have fun in Brekenridge...I miss Colorado and mountains!

Strupp Family said...

Good stuff! I told you I vicariously live through you, right? I used to be much more daring--there's just something about dying these days that makes me think twice about crazy stuff. I did go skydiving, however--which was pretty daring if I do say so myself. But what are the odds of REALLY getting hurt there? A bike ride on the other hand...you could really get hurt pretty easily. So, I'm with you.

Anyway, I also think if you're going to talk about this yummy food, you need to share the recipes :)

And it's spelled "conquer" :)

Mary Ann said...

Sandy, I think mountain biking is a good thing to be afraid of. I'll take bungee jumping over that any day. Much safer, I think. Kudos to you for even trying!