Tuesday, October 7, 2008

I'm not the best of spellers

So...many of you pointed out that in my last post I spelled conquer wrong. I thank you for pointing it out as it reminds me once again that I never was, and clearly still am not, a spelling wiz.

I'm reminded of spelling bees in elementary school where I would miss the easy words and get out in the first round. I was once asked if I purposely missed the word just to get out early and not have to deal with participating in the bee. I quickly responded "yes" and knew that I would have to repent for telling that lie so willingly.

The funny thing about the wrong spelling of conquer...I knew it looked incorrect but for the life of me I couldn't figure out the right spelling. I figured spell check would catch the error. Turns out, spell check doesn't catch words spelled correctly but misused. Hmm...oh well. Here's hoping this post fares better!

4 comments:

MaryAnn said...

Of course I did not notice your mistake. I also always got out in the first round of spelling bees - spelling was never my strong point.

Lynda/Mom said...

I didn't notice either, and I'm surprised it got by me. I would have spelled "wiz" as "whiz." But these days there aren't many rules, so who really knows what it correct.

Sandy Brunson said...

You are right Aunt Lynda. "Whiz" would have been better. Funny.

Strupp Family said...

Ugh. I'm such a jerk :) I really wish I could've deleted that part right after I posted it. Anyway--I got out on the easy words too in the spelling bees, but I didn't want to be like Aaron Pinegar because I thought winning spelling bees is so nerdy. I know, a little ridiculous that I remember who won the spelling bee in 5th grade, but I can't remember my kids first words or other important events in my life. I'm kidding. So, I'm sorry to point that out to you...