Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Tomato Gravy and Homemade Bread

Yep...I made them both.

I made whole wheat bread last night and it is delicious. I made it with the intention of eating with tomato gravy and I made that tonight. I think that may be my comfort food. It reminds me of growing up and being with my family in all the good ways. Not like the bad memories associated with liver or split pea fritters.

The tomato gravy (which is really just tomato soup for any of you who may be thinking that sounds disgusting) was a little disappointing because I couldn't find really good tomatoes and I didn't want to wait for the farmers market this Saturday. Plus it's just getting to be a little late in the season for those really excellent tomatoes. But...it was pretty tasty just the same.

It filled me up and made me feel nostalgic all at the same time.

7 comments:

MaryAnn said...

Sounds yummy. I LOVE tomato gravy. Of course it does have to be made with really good tomatoes.

Lynda/Mom said...

I feel bad--I passed on making tomato gravy this weekend when Aunt B. came to visit. And I had good garden tomatoes from our neighbor in Summit's garden. Maybe this weekend I'll get to it.

Shae, Jay, and chillin' said...

Nice, good job, Sandy. Did you use more of that bread dough enhancer?

Leslie said...

Homemade tomato soup and homemade bread? Sounds delicious.

D. said...

Yuck! I hate that stuff. The bread sounds good. Does Leslie not know what Tomato Gravy is? Butt I am impressed with your domestic abilities!

Barbara said...

I, too, love tomato gravy and associate it with good memories of growing up. I'm impressed that you also made bread--good for you!!

The Smiths said...

Yum! Will your share your tomato gravy recipe?? I just joined a produce canning co-op and we canned TONS of tomatoes! I need new ways to cook tomatoes.