Saturday, November 14, 2009

At the Request of Some High School Chums

Interesting to me that the two requests I get for recipes from my most recent "meal plan" post are for food I don't really have recipes for. So, for the benefit of Harmony and Mand, here's the best I can do:

Cream of Veggie Soup

I grew up eating this one. I learned how to make it from my mother, but there are not really clearly defined proportions. In fact, when I made it yesterday it turned out too thin...

I use: potatoes, carrots, celery, and onion in whatever proportions you like most.

Cook the veggies in water, or a more tasty option broth, until they are tender.

Add salt and pepper to taste. (Lately I have been throwing in some parsley and playing around with other seasonings. It's pretty good.)

My mom always made a big pot full so this next part is a little sketchy when you are cutting down the amount of soup.

She would use a full can of evaporated milk mixed with a cup of flour. The milk will thicken a little.

Add this milk/flour mixture to the cooked veggies and cook a little longer. Generally enough time for the flour to cook and thicken the soup a little.

We always ate it with cheese on top which makes for a very delicious cheesy veggie soup.

Good luck...

Spinach Feta Crepes

Mix crepe batter as follows (From Jacob's mother's recipe, though it's very similar to others I've used in the past)

For 12 crepes

1 1/2 Cups flour
1 TB sugar
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
2 cups milk
2 eggs
1/2 tsp vanilla
2 TB margarine, melted

Use a blender to mix it all together, adding the wet ingredients first. Pour a small amount of batter onto a lightly buttered skillet, rotating the pan to cover the entire bottom with a thin coating of batter. Cook over medium heat until lightly browned, flip and cook on the other side.

For the spinach and feta crepes I left out most of the sugar and vanilla. I added it later when we were making fruit/dessert crepes.

Here's what Jacob and I did for the spinach/feta filling:

While the crepe is cooking on the second side, put defrosted spinach, tomatoes, feta, onion, green pepper, mushroom, olives (pretty much whatever you want) on one half of the crepe. Fold the crepe, like an omelet, over the ingredients. Flip the stuffed crepe half way through cooking to make sure you don't burn your crepe but get the filling all warmed through.

They were tasty...

4 comments:

Grammyzanne said...

I'm not much of a veggie soup fan but those crepes sound very good.

Jason&Shannon said...

Too thin cream of veggies soup is way better than the time I made it too thick. Yuck. That stuff was definately the kind of soup you could stand a fork up in. I left a message on your previous post and want to know how close I was to guessing right about who contributed what menu ideas. Thanks.

Harmony said...

I make a really yummy non-creamy veggie soup. (haha not to toot my own horn!) But I think I'll try your version soon. I'm all about the soup when it gets cold outside! Your crepes sound good too, but I'm no good at flipping those suckers!

Amanda, Curtis, Ellis, Hugh, Rhys, Graham, Sylvia said...

Thanks, Sand! I'm making a grocery list tonight, and checkin' it twice for all the things I need for your crepes.