Sunday, November 22, 2009

Saturday is a Special Day

Anyone remember that primary song? I was singing it all day yesterday. It was definitely one of "those" Saturdays. I was busy all day with cleaning and other household stuff in preparation for leaving on Wednesday to go home for Thanksgiving. I hate coming home to a to-do list. I'd much rather get stuff done before leaving and return to a clean house.

I started my day with laundry and cleaning the main level of our house. It was in need of more of a deep clean than compared to my normal de-clutter sort of cleaning. So I cleaned the bathroom, mopped floors, cleaned the kitchen and living room. I did make some time in all this to catch the final episode of AMNTM though. What can I say, I'm a sucker for the show.

I then took some time to shower so Jacob and I could run to Lowe's and Target. He needed stuff to put up Christmas lights and I needed stuff to finish that blasted bedroom downstairs. (It's still far from completed bytheway. But I have a deadline since Jacob's family is coming for Christmas. It MUST be done by then.)

We got home and I finished up laundry and then started helping Jacob with the Christmas lights. This turned out to be quite the chore. And, I am a little afraid of heights but Jacob is even more afraid of heights (remember his experience at the Seattle Space Needle...I do.) So I ended up getting on the roof a little more than he did.

He had a plan to avoid the roof as much as possible by jimmy rigging a pole with a hook. Most of the roof line on our house had little hooks on it already so we used those to string the lights. Trouble is, it was still really hard to get the lights tight and looking good.

So after Jacob spent a long time with the pole, out one of the bedroom windows, anchored by a rope around me ('cuz the roof over the garage is STEEP and he was scaredy...and I don't blame him), all to avoid getting on the very tip top of our roof line....I still went up there to make the lights a little straighter and tighter. But it wasn't so bad. And I see another trip up there in the future to replace a burnt out bulb. The stupid light burnt out just as we were finishing it all up. Jacob says I should just leave it but I don't think I can stand it. It's a very obvious hole.



Anyway, the lights took way longer than I thought they would so I didn't get time to really clean up my bedroom. The good news is Jacob had already cleaned our bathroom and the other bathroom upstairs. So at least it's not as nasty as it was.

We then made our way to King Soopers to pick up a few necessary items, and a few not so necessary items. Jacob and I are quite pleased with our adventures in couponing and our ability to stock up on items for pretty cheap. Our food storage has grown quite a bit since starting the couponing game. We are spending about the same amount in groceries as we used to but it sure is going farther than before.

After dinner (a pretty late dinner might I add), I ended the evening by playing a little band hero with some friends. It was a good time. And I was completely worn out by the end of the day!

It's good to have a productive Saturday every now and then.

9 comments:

MaryAnn said...

The lights look good and it sounds like a very productive Saturday to me. I still have all my housework and laundry to do before we leave on Wednesday. I guess tomorrow and Tuesday will be busy. See you soon.

Grammyzanne said...

Saturday was certainly a busy day! Lights look good and nice to have them up already so you can enjoy the whole season. And yes, that is a very obvious hole. Many experience will make it easier to get back up on the roof.

Amber said...

So brave and ambitious with the Christmas lights. Looks great. Call me Scrooge but I refuse to do anything Christmas related until Dec.

Mary Ann said...

Love that song, and love the lights! Oh, and I love the rope anchor! :)

Shae, Jay, and chillin' said...

Jason has been working on our lights, but I wonder if it will be an unfinished project come Christmas. I may have to take the task and finish it myself. Niether one of us is willing to put lights on the roof line, as we don't even have a ladder that reaches that high. It will be a much shabbier job than yours....looks very nice!

Merilee said...

First of all, can I say your husband is hilarious for tying himself to the house as an anchor. I say kudos, because people fall off their roofs all the time.

Second, your lights look great, even if there is a little hole in the scheme because of a burnt out light. At least it didn't turn off the whole string.

scott said...

YOur lights look good, for sure fix the burned out light! Anyway I agree with the above comment Jacob is pretty funny, but safe, good for him! Can't wait to see you guys on Thursday!

John L. Carter said...

What a busy day! I'm glad someone else is into the whole ANTM...I was thrilled with this season as I wanted Nicole and Laura to be in the finals. We're excited to se ya'll Thursday...John is getting himself pumped for your Barbie Fashion Showdown....

Unknown said...

Christmas lights are a great way to show your christmas spirit!