Sunday, November 1, 2009

How We Spent Our Halloween

Prepare yourself now for a lengthy post with many a picture. If you stop here I won't be offended.

Jacob and I had been putting off going to the Temple this month as things just kept coming up. I'm sure you all know what that is like. So it was down to Saturday, October 31st and no excuses. We planned to leave Saturday morning and make a day of it all with a few shopping stops included in the trip. We anticipated leaving at about 9:00 am (well I anticipated leaving promptly at 9 am while Jacob anticipated 9-ish). Turns out we didn't hit the road until about 10:30. We had a slight delay with a lost wallet.

But we made it on the road and decided the first stop of the day would be Costco for a few items but mostly for Jacob to replace the struggling battery in his car. His old battery was still under warranty so we figured we could get a slight reimbursement for the new one. It worked out just fine. But we drove his car so he replaced it in the parking lot, in his Sunday best. My favorite Costco moment was when the checker asked us if we wanted a cart for the new battery purchase. Jacobs responded with "No, I'm pretty strong."





After the Costco detour, we drove the remainder of the way to the Temple. It was a beautiful day! There was still plenty of snow on the ground from the downpour a few days ago but it was melting rapidly in the 50 some-odd degree weather. It was also lovely in the Temple, as it always is.





We had been given a gift card to Crate and Barrel from one of Jacob's uncles and decided to make a stop at one of the stores to use it up. And let's just say I am a big fan of the Crate and Barrel!


The rest of the evening was spent eating chili, passing out candy, and watching Fringe and Flash Forward episodes.









Happy Halloween to all!

8 comments:

Kelli said...

What is it with men having to announce their strength?

Lynda/Mom said...

Sounds like a good way to spend the day. We have an uncarved pumpkin on our front porch with the hose coiled around it--surprised the deer haven't eaten it yet, and a ceramic jack-o-lantern which we used to adorn the tailgate of the truck for "trunk or treat." That's the most Halloween we've done in years! Aunt Lynda

Dennis Carter said...

You went to the temple after changing a battery? That can be a pretty dirty job! Looks like you had a great day!

Shae, Jay, and chillin' said...

You and I spent our Halloween day in some of the same activities. I passed out candy, Jeremiah and I made two batches of quick bread for a bake sale at Jeremiah's school, and I also went to the temple in the morning. I too was hoping to arrive early at the temple, but got there at about 10:30. Without the hassle of finding a babysitter, I dragged the family with me and they spent two hours at the DC visitors center. It was a good Halloween.

MaryAnn said...

Sounds more productive then my Halloween. I may be a bad Mom, but we went to Tim's Mom's trunk or treat on Friday night. I decided with that and our trunk or treat the week before, we had covered Halloween. When Megan asked on Saturday about Halloween, I told her it was yesterday and we did nothing on Saturday. We also did not get a single trick or treater.

Mary Ann said...

Sounds like a fun day. Love the black light. And the names of your pumpkins.

Amanda, Curtis, Ellis, Hugh, Rhys, Graham, Sylvia said...

Sandy, I went to the temple, too, on Halloween, like so many others who have responded! We should start a club! It was such a beautiful day here.

Loved the sunset picture, and the look on Jacob's face when we holds his power tools.

BRANDON AND NICOLE said...

Hey Sand! What a beautiful temple you have! Which one is it, exactly? I love your b&w photos and how you put type on your blog photos-how in the heck do you do that?