Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Oregon---Day 1

I've decided to create a post for each day I was in Oregon (well I might combine Sunday with Monday...)

So to begin--

Jacob and I left bright and early (one of us woke up earlier than the other) Friday morning for our 8:45 am flight to Portland. We made it there and onto the plane with no problems despite the snow that was expected to fall while we slept.

His parents and little sister picked us up at the airport and we immediately headed to IKEA. I had never been to an IKEA before so they stopped just for me. We ate lunch there and spent some time looking at all the fun things available at that store. I bought nothing. Jacob got some kitchen items. It was a good time.


We then headed to Multnomah Falls along the Columbia River gorge, but not before a quick crossing of the border into Washington so I could check that state off my list. (I have a goal of seeing all 50 states. After this trip I have seen 27 of them). The falls were amazing! We didn't hike all the way to the top because it was chilly and Jacob and I were a little tired. But we did go up half way to the amazing bridge. For those that may not know...I love bridges. I think they are beautiful and a little bit romantic. I think this obsession with bridges began as a girl watching Anne of Green Gables when she kisses Gilbert on the bridge at the end of the movie. Yep...not a bad scene. But I digress...




After visiting the falls we proceeded up the gorge to the Bonneville Dam. We took a dam tour and I appreciated all the dam jokes that were made. Especially those made by his mother who would giggle a little every time she said "dam" while his father would try not to laugh and look disapproving. It was pretty great. I'm pretty sure by the time we ended the tour I was ready for bed. It was only 4:30 or so but I was beat. So, we headed back down the gorge and the drive was lovely as the sun began setting.



We settled ourselves at Jacob's parent's home and then had some dinner and played some games with the family. I can't really remember what we played but I think I lost. Oh...no, I remember. I definitely lost. We played Killer Bunnies. And then we also played a little game of SET and I managed to redeem myself. Phew~! I do not like losing.

It was a long day...but the beginning of a pretty fantastic trip.

OH! I almost forgot the best part of that evening. Jacob's sister pulled out photo albums. I am here to testify that Jacob was an adorable baby and child. I looked through 4 photo albums that proved it!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Anne! We love killer bunnies...if you happen to swing by this way you are always welcome to come and play with us...Our social circle is pretty small and gamers are ALWAYS appreciated.

Shae, Jay, and chillin' said...

Where were you the time I went to IKEA in Utah? Cool store. I like the green scenic pictures. Glad also to hear that Jacob passes the cute baby test that you all put such stake in.

Emily said...

Gorgeous pictures! I love the waterfall and the bridge too.

MaryAnn said...

I love that waterfall. Another time you will have to hike to the top - it's a pretty view from up there. Sounds like a good day.

Lynda/Mom said...

Love the pictures--can't wait for the next installment. Aunt Lynda

Harmony said...

I don't think anyone can fully appreciate IKEA until they have a kid yea-high that can go into the IKEA play land. Kid free shopping, for free is the best!

Austin's Mommy said...

Beautiful pictures! I've always heard Oregon and Washington were beautiful places. I will definitely have to go someday. And you guys make a cute couple. Jacob's family looks like fun.

Megan Campbell Carter said...

I love IKEA! It's my favorite! Those are great pictures! Yay for adding some new states! I only have 2 left, which is why we're trying to cruise to Alaska from Seattle.

scott said...

Oregon looks really pretty. I haven't been. I am not sure about you just crossing a border so you can say you have been to a state, next thing you know you will be counting layovers. Anyway it is your goal so I guess you can count whatever you want. Sounds like you had a good trip.

Amanda, Curtis, Ellis, Hugh, Rhys, Graham, Sylvia said...

Sandy, you are beautiful. I'm so jealous of your visit. Multnomah County has an awesome public library--a leader in the nation--esp. in kids programming. That's where this librarian would go if I were there.

And you better get proposed to on a bridge.