Sunday, February 1, 2009

Cheyenne

So, Jacob and I had an eventful Saturday. We took the afternoon and went exploring (a little bit) in Cheyenne. Our explorations included a tour of the Governor's mansion and a trip to the Sierra West Trading Post Outlet.

The mansion was pretty cool. It has been restored to represent different eras. So there is the original 1905 entry way but also the Cold War era bomb shelter. I think the bomb shelter was my favorite part. I am pleased to see that Clue was an important inclusion in case of a bomb scare. Here are some pictures of Jacob in said bomb shelter.


That's right...the board game Clue. Love it!


Jacob was most pleased with the Oh Henry candy bar stash.


And most alarmed by the "Family Radiation Measurement Kit"



The Sierra West Trading Post Outlet was a little bit disappointing. But the good news is I was a able to find some hiking shoes at a pretty discounted price. And, Jacob got a fantastic green jacket.

It was fun to do something a little different and it got me excited for the warmer weather when we can go to Yellowstone and other such activities.

10 comments:

Shae, Jay, and chillin' said...

Wow! Cheyenne has more to offer than when I lived there. I don't remember any Governor's mansion. Is it new or was I just oblivious to its existence? I am glad you got your shoes. I like Jacob's glasses. Nice pics.

Grammyzanne said...

Sounds like my kind of day. Lots of fun games and enough chocolate to help calm/distract most anyone.

Sandy Brunson said...

Shannon- I am pretty sure it's been there since 1905. Thus the term "restored."

Laura Stringham said...

First of all.. you bust me up.
Secondly... good for you guys for doing something like that. It reminds me of when I first moved to Salt Lake and Leslie and I would have our "explore Utah" Saturdays. They mostly involved driving to places like Tooele and Ogden. They weren't very fun. We never saw a single bomb shelter.

Lynda/Mom said...

I guess I didn't know Cheyenne was so close to you that it is a day trip. Love the picture sequence. I almost miss the days of bomb shelters, although I never had one. Aunt Lynda

Emily said...

Cool trip! We should meet in Yellowstone sometime when it's warmer. :)

scott said...

Sandy I must say I am amazed you skipped the Cheyenne zoo. What is a trip to Cheyenne without seeing the zoo?

D. said...

Amen, Scott! I was a disappointed. I was for sure expecting to see some amazing zoo picutres! For those of you who have never been, Cheyenne has an AMAZING zoo! Check it out!

Harmony said...

I wish I could find a "family radiation measurement kit" I'm pretty sure my kids are radio active!

MaryAnn said...

Oh - I had forgotten about the zoo. Oh Cheyenne, what fond memories I have of that town ... And of driving to that town.