Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Best Reaction to My Engagement

So, when I officially became engaged I was somewhat apprehensive about what my client's responses to my engagement may be. I mostly just try to avoid any kind of talk about my personal life with my clients and a recent engagement opens the door for lots of questions.

Today I remembered why I had some of those apprehensive feelings. At the beginning of my group this morning one of my clients noticed the ring and pointed it out. She asked if it was new and I said yes. Another client said "You're engaged?" To which I responded in the affirmative. She then asked to see the ring and I showed her. And then came this little gem of a response from one of my favorite clients in the group. He said "Are you pregnant?" To which I responded "That's really inappropriate."

I am sure in his world that is a pretty logical question and reason for someone to become engaged. Sad, but true.

So then I shut down further questions and began the group as normal. The client apologized after group was done.

And it is a pretty funny story.

6 comments:

Mary Ann said...

Gotta love clients! I've been asked several times by mine if I am pregnant, but for other reasons. I still like to blame Scott's fabulous cooking. :)

MaryAnn said...

That is a pretty funny story!

Merilee said...

Reminds me of While you were Sleeping. Seems like a reasonable question to me.

Barbara said...

What a kick. Fun times are ahead, no question. Hang in there.

Austin's Mommy said...

I got that ALL the time when I was engaged. And a LOT after. I guess people in AZ think that's the only reason to get married too. They're just jealous. :)

Lynda/Mom said...

I like the way you handled things and am especially gratified by the apology!