Thursday, February 19, 2009

Oregon--Take Two

So...after sleeping quite soundly Friday night I woke up ready for a day of exploring the Oregon coast. And let me tell you...it was beautiful. I guess I don't have to tell you since I can show you.

On our way to the coast we stopped at the Tillamook cheese factory (technically I guess it is a coast city but you certainly can't tell). It was fantastic! And they had lots of cheese to sample so I was a pretty happy girl. It was fascinating watching them take big old blocks of cheese to make our more modest size bricks. I also am going to enjoy the cookbook Jacob and I picked up as a Valentine's gift to ourselves. It has a whole chapter dedicated to Mac and Cheese. YUMM-O!
We then headed to a lighthouse on the coast. It was quite lovely and also conveniently located near the "Octopus tree." So naturally we have pictures of that too. After that we hiked a little along a trail right near the coast. It was really so beautiful. After hiking some we walked along the beach at high tide. There was one section of our walk were I convinced Jacob that it would be to walk around a little rocky hilly section that jutted out farther into the tide rather than hike over it. I was determined to beat the tide as it ebbed and flowed because I DID NOT want to get my pants wet. So, I rolled up my jeans as best I could and we started to venture out. About halfway around the obstacle Jacob starts yelling to run as the tide was becoming more threatening. Somehow he managed just fine but I found myself in a puddle of water. So much for the dry jeans. Good news is at least my shoes were waterproof. And it made for a good laugh.







You can't tell but the coast is right behind us. Just through the trees.



Anyway...

On the way back to the parent's house we stopped by the WinCo grocery store for some pizza dough to make our individual pizzas (which were extremely tasty by the way) and I discovered that I may just like the WinCo better than Macey's. Don't hate me. The WinCo had an AMAZING bulk food section. It was ginormous. I could have spent all day there. Instead we just bought some Valentine's candy and stuff to make cupcakes. I joke that bulk section of the WinCo was the highlight of my trip. In actuality it doesn't even make my top 5.

Jacob and I also chose to celebrate Valentine's day by learning a new game. He and I really enjoyed it but I'm not sure his family cared for it much. It's called Metropolys. If you would like more information about it you can check it out on Jacob's blog. Jacob and I were a team and we lost but we still really enjoyed it.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful pictures!

Harmony said...

The landscape there looks beautiful. I love mac n' cheese. It doesn't matter how many fancy, exotic dishes you try Macaroni and Cheese will always be a delicious!

Austin's Mommy said...

Cool tree!

Robinson Family said...

I need to visit Oregon. I love the pictures and the beautiful scenery. By the way, congratulations. You guys look great together, and it's easy to see how happy you are.

Shae, Jay, and chillin' said...

If it wasn't for the weather, I could live in Portland. Oh wait, it is the weather that makes it so beautiful...well I guess the browns of the desert will be my retirement home. Love the pictures, great place to visit!

jacob said...

I really like the picture of you at the end of the rainbow. I also like that if you look closely, you can see the rainbow's double.

Megan Campbell Carter said...

So awesome! Those pictures are amazing! I love the cheese pictures as well...jealousy of cheese tasting might be setting in. :)

Emily said...

What an awesome trip! I especially like the fifth picture and will admit to spending too much time in the bulk section at WinCo.

MaryAnn said...

Nice pictures. I also like the one of you at the end of rainbow, but they are all nice and it looks very pretty.

Jake Ten Pas said...

We enjoyed sampling your blog almost as much as you enjoyed sampling Tillamook's cheese, which is saying something, considering how tasty the latter is. We liked your post so much, in fact, that we made it our Post of the Day at www.tillamookfanclub.com. Best of luck taking the cookbook for a test drive, and don't forget to let us know if you have success with the recipes.
Happy belated Valentine's Day,
Jake Ten Pas
Tillamook Cheese Fan Club