Thursday, January 7, 2010

One Year Older and Wiser Too...

Happy Birthday to Jacob!

Yesterday we celebrated Jacob's birthday. We had a snowstorm blow in so it was a bit of a cold, wet day. But we managed to have a good time just the same.

Jacob really likes donuts, especially from Lamars. So I woke up early and went out and bought some for him to take to work before he woke up. He had no idea I had gone at all. As he was getting ready to leave for work he discovered them. It was a fun little surprise.

Later that night went to dinner at Old Chicago's, partly because it was close to home, the roads were a little slick, and partly because Jacob had never been there. We both had calzones that were pretty good. I was stuffed! And then I went home and finished up his birthday cake (licking containers and spatula's on the way). Then I was extremely full. Too full... I didn't even eat ice cream or cake later that night, and that is unheard of.

After dinner Jacob commenced his birthday scavenger hunt, created by yours truly. Jacob had some difficulty with the clues a few of the clues, and I don't blame him. They weren't the best clues ever written. Each clue was attached to a "gift" of sorts. And the final clue lead to the real gift, hockey tickets to see the local team that is part of the Central Hockey League. Not quite the pro-team in Denver, but it should prove to be a good time.

Did you know that green is the new color of love. M&M's would like you to believe so and purchase the all green bag.


The second clue was attached to a frozen pizza

The third clue was on a package of sour gummy mushrooms

Fourth clue on a new argyle tie.

The last clue was on couple of cans of sweet rolls

We had a few friends that braved the roads and helped us eat all the cake and ice cream goodness. Oh yeah, and they helped sing to Jacob and celebrate his birth with a little game of Mexican Train.

I saw this cake on a food blog I was reading and decided to give it a try. It's a devil's food cake mix (the blog one was made from scratch but I am more lazy than that. At least I was yesterday.) with a layer of cream cheese, peanut butter filling. The topping is chocolate ganache (I did a milk chocolate though I believe most ganaches are dark or even bittersweet) and chopped peanuts. It was pretty tasty and looked quite lovely if you ask me!



That is the only picture I have of Jacob on his birthday. Sad. I guess I was still a little too zoomed in when he went to blow out those candles. I think it's a funny picture.

BEFORE:

AFTER:


It was a fun day for me and I hope it was for Jacob too. He deserves it!

11 comments:

MaryAnn said...

Happy Birthday Jacob! That cake looks yummy - I want some. It has been a busy year for you - I enjoyed the recap in photos.

Shae, Jay, and chillin' said...

That does sound like a fun day. Gummy mushrooms....who ever heard of a thing! What a fun wife he has. I'll take a big piece of that cake...will it mail well? Probably not.

Emily said...

Happy birthday Jacob! I'm drooling over that cake and I love the new tie!

Austin's Mommy said...

Happy birthday, Jacob! Sandy, you are impressively creative and that cake looks delicious!

Mary Ann said...

What a fun, creative wife you are! And thanks for letting me know that gummy mushrooms exist. Who knew?

Dennis Carter said...

Happy birthday Jacob! Could you send me a piece of that cake?

Lynda/Mom said...

Well, aren't you guys a fun couple! You definitely deserve each other in the best sense. Glad you (I assume both of you) enjoyed the birthday celebration. My favorite part is the donuts, although the treasure hunt and cake were a great touch. Aunt Lynda

Amber said...

Happy birthday, yummy cake! We are big fans of Lamars. My favorite is the boston cream filled with no frosting.

Kelli said...

Holy Cow! Did you two eat that much cake by yourselves in one sitting?! Looks yummy.. mmm, now I want to make cake. I love scavenger hunts. I tried doing that for Allen one Easter and I guess he wasn't as excited as I would have been.

Grammyzanne said...

Happy birthday belatedly. Sounds like a fun and memorable day. Jacob's cake sounds like the cake that has become Janet's and my traditional birthday cake. Janet also discovered it online.

Lori said...

Would you post a link to the blog that had this reciepe? Thank you <3