Friday, January 22, 2010

What's on the Menu

Jacob and I did really good at sticking to our menu this week so I thought I'd share what we ate.

Sunday: Pork Roast, garlic mashed potatoes, and green beans
-Thanks for the roast recipe Shan. It was good. Only I didn't buy Catalina dressing. I don't like it and couldn't see having a bottle of it laying around. So I looked at the ingredients on a bottle at the store and made up my own. And it was pretty good on the pork.

Monday: Pancakes and peaches
-This reminded me of the days my Mom used to make pancakes almost every Monday. I got so sick of pancakes. Then came cinnamon syrup and it changed my world. I made some to go with our peaches and pancakes. Delicious!

Tuesday: Left over pork roast, french fries, and corn.

Wednesday: Made up Chicken Curry Orzo casserole.

Thursday: Split pea and Italian sausage soup.
-So good. But whenever I eat split peas I think of growing up and the fritters. NOT good. I am eating the left over soup right now for lunch and finding it rather delicious.

We are either having hamburgers or Chinese omelet tonight, and whatever we don't do tonight is set for tomorrow.

With the pancakes, split pea soup, and Chinese omelet on the menu I feel a little bit like I'm having a throw back to the "poor days" while growing up. But I'm liking it. And it is good for the budget that is a little tight this month.

In other news, I was very excited today when I made a payment on my student loan and realized I only have 4 more months before it is all paid off! That will be a liberating day. We will be totally debt free (minus a mortgage) come May!

3 comments:

MaryAnn said...

Split pea fritters weren't that bad - oh wait, yes they were. That is a pretty budget friendly menu - good thing we all got use to eating cheap growing up in our house. And congratulations on almost being dept free.

Unknown said...

Congrats on paying off your student loan! We're on a 30 year pay-off plan...so so sad.

scott said...

Split pea fritters were a huge improvement over soup for a time, and that time has been long gone