Friday, February 24, 2012

Finished

I'm finished with a couple of things.
1. I'm kinda over the photo a day. It's turning into more of another thing on my "to do" list and less of the fun learning experience it started out as. So, I'm done. And I'm cool with not finishing even 29 days of photos. I do, however, hope and intend to continue taking more photos so I can keep practicing and documenting my day to day stuff. I probably won't be posting as often though. I know, you are sad. I think you'll get over it though. :)
2. I finished the quilt for Sarah's new little girl. They are all home safe and sound now. Jacob and I hope to go visit this weekend and I'm glad I will have this quilt ready to deliver. Well, glad and sad. It's always a little sad for me to work really hard on something and love the end result and then have to part with it. And I do love this one. I think it turned out so cute. I just wish you could pre-shrink charm packs so the final quilt was as big as the pre-washed version. Oh well. Still really cute!
Here's the front.



And here's the back.



This was my first time piecing the back of a quilt and also my first time binding a quilt they way you are supposed to. I'm usually a pretty lazy quilter and have always rolled the backing fabric to the front and machine sewn it down. And I've always been okay with that. Until this quilt. The back was too small and so I didn't have the option of shortcuts. And I love the striped binding. I didn't love sewing it by hand but I might be convinced to bind more traditionally from here on out.
I was telling Jacob that I feel a little bad for my nieces and nephews who are on the older side of things because they got quilts that weren't as cute as they ones I'm making now. I'm getting better as I do more (naturally) and those first quilts were certainly nothing to get excited about. Sorry older nieces and nephews. Especially sorry to those that were born before I got into quilting at all. Maybe I should go back and make them twin sized ones now...or maybe not.
Posted by Picasa

9 comments:

MaryAnn said...

That is very cute - good job!

Jason&Shannon said...

I will miss your photo a day. Oh well, as you say, I will get over it. I love, love, love that quilt. Don't worry about getting better, my kids still wear out their Aunt Sandy quilt until it is starting to fall apart (especially Hannaha's). That being said, Jeremiah would appreciate a twin size quilt that isn't sport themed. He is starting to enter that older,more mature teenage years where a standard pieced quilt might be more fitting than his boyish sport-themed comforter. So, get busy. Now that you don't have a photo a day to worry about, you'll have lots of time. After that, Hannah's is starting to fall apart and she is your favorite niece. Hint hint!

Robinson Family said...

Beautiful quilt!!!

Emily said...

You're right, I will miss your photos but totally understand!! I think I went a little bit crazy with the photo a day thing but it did help to get me thinking more about taking pictures and documenting. :)

LOVE your quilt!!! The quilting looks awesome and the binding is so fun! Did you make the binding strips and are they on the bias or not? I machine bind my quilts b/c I'm ridiculously slow at handstitching but they probably don't look as nice as they could.

Kathy said...

Your quilt turned out great! Well done.

Megan Campbell Carter said...

That is an awesome quilt. I love the back, it's totally unique. Guess I should be getting excited to see what our kiddos will look like and whatever colors you chose is fine...we really don't care.

Janel said...

SUPER cute quilt. Hand stitching the binding definitely takes a lot of time, but it looks so good! And I love the striped fabric on the binding, too. Great color choices, piecing, and quilting. :)

Unknown said...

I love that quilt! Super cute.

BRANDON AND NICOLE said...

This is adorable and amazing, Sandy-you're so crafty. I could never make a quilt!

Hey, and I agree about Sundays, even though I don't have a little boy! They were always the busiest when I was RS pres. and then the most boring when I wasn't. You know all those Ensign articles on how things work in the Church, common sense things where you're wondering why are they telling us this? Well, those are written for my totally crazy, disorganized ward.