Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Chicken Pot Pie

Mary Ann asked for this recipe...but I thought I'd do one better than that and show the masterpiece. Jacob and I made this chicken pot pie on Sunday before church and then cooked it when we got home. It turned out pretty well. We tweaked the recipe a bit and I've noted those changes. Doesn't it look like a mmm-mmm good? Sorry I don't have a picture of the innards....I was too busy enjoying my dinner!


This is Jacob's mom's recipe.

Homemade Chicken Pot Pie

Pie crust (I used a recipe I have that I love...never fails. You need a double crust. Or you can just use pre-made crusts form the store.)

2 Tablespoons margarine
1/4 cup flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup milk
2 cans mixed vegetables, drained or one package frozen mixed vegetables (we used frozen)
1 can chicken or turkey, drained (Jacob cooked one large chicken breast and chopped it up)

(Jacob and I also added black pepper, garlic, and a little other spices I can't remember now. Maybe a little thyme...? We also had more filling due to more chicken so we made a little extra sauce.)

Place one pie crust in 9" pie pan. Melt margarine in a sauce pan. Mix in flour and salt and cook for approximately 30 seconds. Add milk and stir in completely and cook until sauce is think and bubbly. Stir in chicken and vegetables. Spoon this mixture into pie crust. Place other pie crust over the top and seal. Cut slits into the crust. Bake at 350 degrees for 45-60 minutes.

8 comments:

Shae, Jay, and chillin' said...

Does look scrumptious. Probably won't fit in well with my diet plans, but maybe I will make it once I lose the 10 pounds I need to lose.

Lynda/Mom said...

Looks good! Sounds like a commitment, though. Maybe I will make it once i lose the 50 pounds I need to lose. Aunt Lynda

Mary Ann said...

I'm pretty sure that it was MaryAnn who asked for the recipe, not me. Oh the confusion. But I'm glad you posted it for Scott to make for me. :)

Sandy Brunson said...

Yeah...I totally knew it was the other MaryAnn...I just miss typed.

scott said...

Are there no potatoes in your recipe? I thought chicken pot pie always has potatoes. But what do I know?

Sandy Brunson said...

I always thought there were potatoes too. But not in this recipe. They could easily be added and would be delicious.

MaryAnn said...

Looks yummy! Maybe one day I will try it and see if Tim likes it.

Sarah and AJ said...

Yum! I made this for lunch yesterday and it was a hit! Walter ate a bunch and AJ liked it so much he ate the leftovers for dinner. Thanks!