Tuesday, September 8, 2009

As Requested

So, many of you requested some recipes. I'll give you the ones I am able and refer you to those that I don't want to plagiarize.

"Tex Mex Chicken and Rice Casserole" comes from the Better Homes and Gardens cookbook. (Sorry Mare, that's the best I can do. But if I remember correctly you have that cookbook anyway...)

As for the Enchiladas: They come from a Relief Society cookbook I got when I was in the La Grande ward. It was a stake relief society activity where the stake presidency made us food and gave us recipes. It was awesome. The contributors to the cookbook were Nancy Hardy, Mary Lou Barlow, Judy Anderson and Carol Lee Smith...can't be sure who contributed the Enchilada recipe.

Here it is:

Chicken Enchiladas

1 Pkg tortillas
1 Chicken (boiled and diced)
2 cans cream of chicken soup
1 pint sour cream
1 small can diced green chili's
Grated cheese

(I sometimes use canned chicken for convenience but chicken cut really small or shredded also works. And I pretty well guess on the quantity.)

Combine soup, sour cream and chili's.

Soften the tortillas in microwave for 10 seconds and put some of the soup mixture in the middle of the tortilla. Then put some of the diced chicken and cheese on top. Roll up and put in pan.

Put the remaining soup mix over all the rolled up tortillas, then sprinkle with cheese all over the top. Bake at 350 degrees for 20-30 minutes.

(I also sometimes add cilantro, onions, and whatever else sounds good to the layering of the enchiladas.)

Kathy, the salsa doesn't really have a recipe. I learned how to make it from my Dad so he would be the one to go to for a better version of the recipe. I'll tell you what I did.

Finely dice tomatoes, onion and green chili's (fresh, roasted, peeled and seeded ahead of time). I don't know what to tell you as far as quantities...you just keep adding until the combination of all three looks right. Season with cumin, oregano, garlic, salt and black pepper to taste. You can also add either crushed red pepper or fresh jalapeno for a little heat.

That's the best I can do.

Enjoy!

9 comments:

Kathy said...

Thanks!

Janet said...

Wendy introduced me to those chicken enchiladas and they are now a favorite. Yum!

Emily said...

mmm those enchildadas sound a lot like Becca's!

MaryAnn said...

I make enchiladas that are similiar - I just wanted to see if you had a new twist to the recipe. I will have the check my Better Homes and Garden cookbook for the chicken recipe. I made a chicken and rice dish out of that cookbook the other day but I think it was called spicy chicken and rice bake. It was very yummy. You should give it a try.

Grammyzanne said...

Chicken enchiladas sound really good. Think I will make that for the family dinner on Sunday - lowfat version of course so we can enjoy it a bit more.

Grammyzanne said...

Oh - how many tortillas in your package?

Sandy Brunson said...

A. Suzanne- the tortilla package I bought had 12 tortillas.

scott said...

No chili powder in your salsa? I thought Dad always put that in. I made some the other night, same thing you did except I didn't seed the peppers before I roasted. We had some pretty spicy salsa which Mary Ann hated.

Sarah and AJ said...

Thanks for the address. Glad you see you are putting recipes up! I am trying to find some awesome warm food since apparently I'm going to be freezing my wee bum off up here.