Wednesday, September 23, 2009

A Little Sprucing Up

My project for the past week has been working on re-painting the bathroom on our main level. It was a weird splotchy grey-blue but I wanted it to be a bit more snappy. Mostly I just wanted it to match the towels we bought. I also hated the blue ceiling. Not a fan of color on the ceilings. Jacob's biggest problem with the bathroom, and also something Scott noticed while visiting, was the painted light switches and outlets. Let's just say, whoever painted the room first was not too careful.

So I spent some time on Thursday and Friday preparing the room and painting the ceiling. Then on Saturday I worked on painting the rest. Jacob helped towards the end when I was growing tired of painting. It was a bit more work than I thought it would be. He also was a huge help in taking down the mirror and patching the wall from the towel rack I no longer wanted in that bathroom.

After I was finished painting on Saturday, and pretty tired, Jacob asked if painting the small room changed my plans about the rest of the house. I think he was sad to find out it hadn't changed my plans at all. I just realize I might have to take things a little more slowly.


I finished up the touch-ups and painting the window trim today. I'm pretty pleased with the overall results of the bathroom. So, here are some before and after photos. Enjoy! And try and ignore me in the photos...I forgot to take pictures prior to taping it all up and didn't remember until I had started on the ceiling.

BEFORE...




AFTER...


11 comments:

Kathy said...

I really like that color. You did a great job. The people who own our house didn't do a good job painting either. There are splotches of paint on our hardwood floors. FYI, we are renting where we live!

Nicole said...

Love that color. It's actually extremely close to the color we painted our bedroom. Good luck with the rest of the house! Just FYI, I HATE painting...seriously.

Grammyzanne said...

Oh WOW! What an improvement! You now have a great-looking bathroom.

Take heart, I would think the other rooms won't seem quite as difficult. A bathroom seems to have a higher ration of finish work to wall area.

Mary Ann said...

Wow! That looks WAY better! I still can't believe that Scott liked the old paint job.

Lynda/Mom said...

Looks good. I can't really visualize the before. Bathrooms and kitchens are notoriously difficult to paint because of all the detail work, so take heart as you continue. Aunt Lynda

Emily said...

Fabulous! Great job! I love the color. :)

Merilee said...

I can't say I have any idea what it looked like before, but your bathroom looks awesome now Sandy!

scott said...

It is true I actually quite liked the paint job in the before, but the new paint does look good, we can agree on the ceiling thing for sure. Glad to hear you didn't paint the outlets and switches!

The Proctors said...

I really like that color! Looks good. :)

MaryAnn said...

It looks good! I also hate paint on the ceiling. Have fun with the rest of the house!

Kelli said...

Looks great! In my last house we had a purely 70's bathroom complete with silver and gold wallpaper. Drove me nuts, but we ended up selling the place before we saved up the money to fix it all.