Saturday, September 12, 2009

Communing with Nature

Jacob and I went camping for the first time in our married life. We headed out Friday afternoon for State Forrest State Park up the Poudre Canyon. I had actually never been up Poudre Canyon so it was an all new experience for me. It was quite lovely once you got up a little ways and especially when we got into Roosevelt National Forrest. The leaves were starting to change and it was really pretty.


We got a little confused when we couldn't find the campsite we had originally set out to camp at but like the site we ended up at even more than the one we intended to go to. I think the one we ended up at had a little more space between camping slots and was a little less popular. So we found a spot close to the outhouse (a perk for anyone with a small bladder - read "me") and were not very close to any other campers.


We cooked up some tinfoil dinners after pitching the tent and starting a fire. They were actually really quite good. We also roasted marshmallows, and I learned something new about my husband. He is a pro marshmallow roaster. I know many who consider roasting a marshmallow to be lighting it on fire, blowing it out, and calling it good. However, those who have experienced the delight of a perfectly, slow roasted marshmallow know the true joy that can be had. And Jacob was definitely of the "slow-roasted" goodness camp. I am obviously firmly camped with the "slow-roasters" as well. I'm not sure our marriage could have survived if he was okay with burning a mallow.




After watching the fire die we headed to the tent to play some games. Sadly, it was getting cold pretty fast and I was ready to curl up in our sleeping bag (yes, bag. We zipped two together. Not like Di and Sam who like to share a single bag). So we didn't play long. But I won the game we played...so that's all the info you really need about that.



We then really did curl up into bed. It was pretty cold and took a little while to get warmed up and comfortable. But once we did, we managed okay. I woke up at about 3 am needing to march to the outhouse, but I couldn't bare the thought of 1. waking Jacob, 2. walking alone in the dark, or 3. getting out of the warm sleeping bag. So I continued to try and sleep, rather uncomfortably I might add, until it was light and a little warmer. When I got back Jacob was ready to get out of bed and make a fire. We warmed up nicely then. And, we cooked ourselves a pretty good breakfast of blueberry pancakes.


After eating we packed up camp, cleaned up, and headed for the information center to see if there was anything we were interested in doing before heading home. Turns out it was getting cooler and a bit rainy so we decide to head back down the canyon.



We stopped at a picnic sight near the mouth of the canyon at ate our classic PB&J sandwiches. We continued home and unpacked and showered just in time for the BYU game...GO COUGARS!


Overall, it was a good experience. One we will surely repeat soon enough. But we also learned some good lessons about what equipment we are lacking and what we would do differently.

Good, good times! But I am beat now and really looking forward to a good nights sleep on my nice cozy mattress.

So good night, and sleep tight.

2 comments:

Lynda/Mom said...

I'm so bad! I loved the memories of camping, but the best part was always appreciating the comforts of home because I was always too, too cold! Well documented, Sandy. Aunt Lynda

MaryAnn said...

Looks like a good time. I love the fall colors - I miss them. You don't see anything like that in Las Vegas.