Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Random Ramblings

Jacob and I are trying to do better about our meal planning...meaning there wasn't meal planning and we are now trying to have a menu and stick to it. However, to maintain some flexibility we are creating a list of meal options for the week and shopping accordingly. That way, we can look at the options and decide what we want to eat that night. This is week one and so far so good. It's also helped with having some left overs to bring to work which is really helping our budget.

So...I'm going to share what's on the menu for the week.

1. Nachos with homemade salsa (already enjoyed on Saturday for the big game)
2. Creamy Chicken Enchiladas (made Sunday to use up some of the left over salsa and provide leftovers for Monday and Tuesday lunch...delicious by the way)
3. Chili dogs (Jacob made homemade chili yesterday and I experienced my first ever chili dog (I think). It was okay. And the chili was delicious. Also looking forward to those left overs).
4. Crepes with fresh fruit (peaches and mango)
5. Baked potatoes and chili
6. Pizza
7. Mexican Chicken and Rice casserole

We did forget to take into account that we are going camping this weekend so we may have to bump some of the meals into next week.

In other good news: We inherited a freezer. It has some minor issues so we are still testing it out to see if it will continue working and keep things frozen without costing us an arm and a leg in utilities. I am really looking forward to stocking up on freezer items. Our current freezer has pretty limited space and doesn't allow for bulk purchases of cheap meat and such. So keep your fingers crossed that it continues to work.

P.S. I just dripped that delicious homemade salsa on my shirt while sitting at my desk typing this up. That is going to look awesome when I have to go to court in an hour.

And a few more things from this weekend...

I so appreciate that Jacob enjoys playing games. We played A LOT this weekend. I told him we were having a "sleep over" on Sunday night since we could sleep in on Labor Day Monday. I let him know I expected a game of truth or dare (or as I like to play it, truth or TRUTH) and talking and giggling until late hours of the night. We did manage a game of truth or truth but we pretty well went to bed at 1 am. Not that late. We are old.

But we have this game called "Mr. Jack." It's a really good, two player, game. I recommend it. It's a bit like Museum Caper Clue for those that may remember that delightful game. BUT...I can NEVER win. It's very frustrating to me. I don't like losing. I have only beat Jacob once. Seriously! Once. No good.

This weekend we also took a trip to the furniture store and found a dresser and a sectional sofa that we like. We are going to think on these items a few days, and maybe go back and buy the dresser. We need to continue saving in our furniture budget to afford the sectional.

We did, however, spend a good chunk of money at Bed, Bath and Beyond. We had a list of several things we have been wanting to buy, a stack of gift cards, and a "20% off your entire purchase" coupon. Game on! It was fun adding a few items to the kitchen and home.

I put some tools to use and hung some towel rings in a couple of our bathrooms. I wish I were more skilled but it was actually a little frustrating. They were simple instructions and I wanted to do it all without Jacob's assistance. I had to have his help hanging the first one, just because I wasn't observant and put something on backwards...He caught my error pretty quickly and then I made it right. Hanging the downstairs ring was supposed to be more simple. The mounting design was a little easier so I thought there wouldn't be any problems. I was wrong. The towel ring is currently fastened with one screw as opposed to the two it it should have. There is an issue with a hole...don't ask. I can't talk about it. It stings too much. (I am being dramatic...it's really no big deal and I'll figure out how to fix it.)

Throw in some church attendance, FHE, Chocolate Zucchini Cake, the previously mentioned football game, Pushing Daisies, and a little house work and that about sums up my wonderful three day weekend. (I kinda wish it weren't over).

7 comments:

MaryAnn said...

Sounds more productive then my three day weekend, but then again, I am taking it easy. I do my menu the same way - plan a week of meals and then decide that day what I feel like eating. We are having chicken noodle soup today because Megan has had a little bit of a cold and she told me yesterday that she needed soup to make her feel better. Funny kid!

MaryAnn said...

I forgot - you shoudl post your recipes for creamy chicken enchiladas and mexican chicken and rice casserole. Maybe some of us want to make them. I am always look for new and easy recipes.

Emily said...

we're trying to do the menu planning too. :) I'd also like your recipes sometime. btw the coupons at bb&b don't actually expire (despite the expiration date), I miss truth or truth, and love pushing daisies!

Kathy said...

So where is the salsa recipe? I LOVE salsa!!! I do menu planning like that too but do it for 2 weeks. That way with 3 kids I am only at the grocery store 2 times a month.

Grammyzanne said...

Sounds like a nice weekend.

Harmony said...

I wish we lived closer to each other so you could invite me over for dinner. :) We do the same menu planning thing. Only some weeks I wonder why I only made one of the things on the list...

Kim said...

So did you ever end up getting our gift card? I am so upset if you didn't. You must of thought we are a bunch of losers! Sorry, Sandy. We really did have good intentions.

I love that you are doing menus. Have you gotten into couponing yet? I am spending less on groceries than ever and have at least a 4 month supply built up in my pantry. I can teach you if you are in town sometime. It is awesome!

Miss ya,
Kim