Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Hiking in Rocky Mountain

Jacob and I went hiking in Rocky Mountain National Park on Saturday with our friend Lori. Jacob had an annual pass that was to expire at the end of the month so we figured we better take advantage of it while we could.


It turned out to be a pretty perfect day for hiking. It was sunny but cool in the mountains and we only got rained on for about 10-15 minutes on our way out. The scenery was absolutely gorgeous. The falls were lovely and the lake was serene. I love the mountains and the smell of the pine/fir trees. I love the clean air. It was refreshing and a much needed break from the city. We hiked up to Fern Lake. Our initial destination was fern falls but then Lori and Jacob wanted to continue on to the lake. So our total trip ended up being about a 6.5 mile hike.


As it happens, I am no in shape for a 6.5 mile hike. Especially one that is up hill for the last few miles. I was feeling pretty good as we were hiking but when we reached the lake and sat down I realized that my feet weren't doing so good. I was wearing poor socks and was getting the beginnings of blisters on my feet. While we were at the lake the rain started moving in. There was some pretty ominous thunderings and sprinklings on the lake. I really wanted to head back down the mountain at that point because I wasn't prepared for heavy rain. And no one wants to get struck by lightning, right?


But again, we lucked out, because there was no heavy rain. Enough to get us damp but not soaked, and it was brief.


However, on the way down I remembered why I dislike hiking down a mountain. It is hard on joints. I have a kind of bad knee as it is from a roller skating injury in years past (Don't ask. It was embarrassing) and going down at a pretty good grade didn't do good things for my knee. I could tell I was going to be sore the next day.


And that is the moral of the story. I am an old women who is out of shape and can't manage to hike 6.5 miles without some consequences. I was sore the next day. And am a little still today. But the good news is my knee is feeling better and I may be able to go for a jog with Jacob tomorrow.


Though I'll probably have to dig out my knee brace and put it to work. I think it is in our garage somewhere....

ADDENDUM: I originally wrote this blog on Monday and was going to upload some pictures and publish it that night. However, I ran out of time. Then yesterday the photos wouldn't upload. So I'm going to publish this post today without pictures. I'll try and post the photos tonight...they are lovely.

And, no, I did not end up jogging yesterday. My knee still hurts some today...so we'll see how it goes.

3 comments:

Lynda/Mom said...

I LOVE Rocky Mountain National Park. Sorry about your knee; I can relate as my left knee got injured with a fall on the way down from Mt. Timp. It still troubles me, more now that I'm older and weigh more. Looking forward to the pictures. Aunt Lynda

MaryAnn said...

Sounds like a fun outing anyway. I would love to go for a good hike and to have some cool, fall weather.

vessel sinks said...

Hi,

Thank You Very Much for sharing this helpful informative article here about "Hiking in Rocky Mountain"!!

-- Hiking Gear | Hiking Equipment | Backpacking Gear | Backpacking Equipment | big agnes