Saturday, September 26, 2009

Fall Surprise

All summer I've been wondering what kind of plants we had on the east side of our home. Earlier last week we were able to finally find out what the blooms look like. They just keep getting bigger and lovelier. And they even survived the cold weather and rain this week.


We had nice, warm, 80 degree weather again today. Jacob and I took advantage of it and went for a little jog. I'm trying to get back in shape and Jacob has been a good sport in coming along. He is probably a more capable jogger but helps to keep me motivated. The weather put a little damper (literally) on the jogging together plans. Instead I had to haul my lazy bones to the gym. I did pretty well and hope to take advantage of the nice weather we are supposed to have this week.

Also, if anyone knows what these plants are and how to best care for them I'd appreciate the advise. Do I trim them back after the flowers have died? I'm not a gardener.

8 comments:

Kelli said...

No idea how to care for them, but they sure are nice looking! I love flowers that bloom outside the usual spring/summer time!

Lynda/Mom said...

They are mostly, if not all, chrysanthemums. If they've been there for awhile and they look that good, they probably don't need much care. I was wondering if they survive your winters there. I just planted some in my yard because they are so beautiful in the fall. Aunt Suzanne probably knows more than I do. Aunt Lynda

Dennis Carter said...

They look like mums to me also. They're perennial and should come back every year. They survive winters here without problem. You can pretty much let them go. Fertilize and water like other flowers. They sell tons of them around here for Memorial day in pots. They can be transplanted into your garden and they'll take off like yours have done.

MaryAnn said...

They are vert pretty. I have no idea how to care for them as I do not have a green thumb, but it looks like you have already gotten some good advice.

Leslie said...

Those are really pretty mums. I've been thinking about getting some potted mums to spruce up our porch this fall. From what I know, mums are pretty hearty. I'm a novice gardener though.

Grammyzanne said...

Yes they are georgeous and healthy Chrysanthemums. Looks like they were planted in a very desirable location. Growing mums in your part of the world is a bit different than growning them in my part of the world. You shouldn't do much pruning until next spring at which time you will cut back the dead growth (the branches provide some winter protection for the roots.) The plants are frost tolerant so they will stay alive after the first few light frosts. When the leaves die it would be good to mulch the plants - rake your leaves, pine needles etc. into the planter. In the spring clean them up and start fertilizing. Pruning and pinching back new growth to produce compact plants in the spring will increase fall flower production. Every three years or so you will want to divide the plants to help maintain vigorous growth.

A couple of websites for more information http://www.gardenersnet.com/flower/mums.htm and http://landscaping.about.com/od/landscapecolor/p/chrysanthemums.htm

Thanks for sharing your beautiful fall color!

scott said...

Who knew mum was short for chrysanthemum?

Amanda, Curtis, Ellis, Hugh, Rhys, Graham, Sylvia said...

Beautiful! What a treat to already have them growing there. Just don't forget how to spell them!

c-h-r-y-s-a-n-t-h-E!-m-u-m