Friday, September 18, 2009

Meal Options for September

I'm freezing. And bored at work so I thought I would do round two of our menu planning.

We did massive grocery shopping this week and I must admit it was a real good time. We went by Sprouts for some fresh fruits and veggies and chicken on sale for 1.77/lb. But, the trip to King Soopers was especially rewarding.

We had received a "welcome to the neighborhood" coupon mailer. We got $20.00 in free groceries for filling a prescription there (but we had used $11.00 of it already) as well as a $10.00 off coupon when spending over $50.00. They also had the awesome "10 item" promotion going on. Basically you mix and match any 10 items from their list of options and save $5.00 on your overall tab. Plus, I had some coupons (thanks for getting me excited about couponing Kim!). As we were checking out, the cashier asked if we wanted to use the remainder of our pharmacy dollars and we said yes. Somehow she failed to key it in right and a manager had to override it. But the manager couldn't access the amount we had left on our card so she just gave us the full $20.00. And we still have the $8.00 balance. King Soopers is awesome like that. They have pretty great customer service. Plus they double and triple some manufacturers coupons. Anyway, the moral of the story is: We got $75.00 worth of groceries for only 34 bucks! SWEET!

We are pretty well stocked up for the month. So...with that little side note out of the way...on to the meal options for the month:

Lasagna
Hamburgers
Tomato Gravy (Basically homemade soup for those who are thinking that sounds disgusting...it's delicious)
Split Pea Soup
10 Bean Soup
Chicken Pot Pie (Jacob's favorite, homemade of course)
Quiche
Quesadillas
Tacos
Spaghetti
Chicken Casserole (The exact variety has yet to be determined, we are going to try something new from one of our cookbooks)

The other two days of the month we are just going to have to wing it with whatever is in the pantry and fridge...'cause our grocery budget for the month is totally gone.

And all of the sudden I'm hungry.

6 comments:

MaryAnn said...

I often think of making chicken pot pie, but Tim says that he does not like it. Maybe I need a good recipe to try to see if he likes it homemade - hint, hint.

scott said...

Sounds yummy I made a homemade pot pie last year, it was far too much work. What are you flavoring your 15 bean soup with?

Mary Ann said...

You're really making me hungry. Enjoy all your delicious food!

Shae, Jay, and chillin' said...

Aside from the spilt pea soup, it all sounds good. I am glad you two shop together and budget. I wish I was so good. As it is, one day I might budget again, but for now I am pretending I never heard of a guy named Dave Ramsey.

Amanda, Curtis, Ellis, Hugh, Rhys, Graham, Sylvia said...

Yes, Sandy, if you want to send any recipes along in the blog, please do. So great that you stick to a budget together. It feels like you're winning a game when you do. As for those days without a meal plan, never underestimate the power of a baked potato with some fixin's or of scrambled eggs or...well, I'm sure you know all those tricks.

Merilee said...

Maybe I should start looking through coupons.